Wednesday 8 July 2015

Familiarization Trip - Weekend

Hello again,

Well the last post was so long I decided to split it in half. I hope it was helpful. During the trip I had some time off to explore and get a feel for what Japan is like. As well as be kinda of touristy. 

Seeing as we were staying in Tokyo we spent a lot of time exploring there, however we also poked our noses round Utsunomiya as well as the National Park and the Shrines near my mums work (Nikko). 

Tokyo

We spent most of our evenings exploring as well as some time on Sunday in Tokyo. The three main parts of Tokyo are; Shinjuku, Shibuya and Ikebukuro, they are connected by the JR Yamanote Line which can get quite busy due to this. I did the first 2, Shinjuku and Shibuya.

Shinjuku

I know we are staying in Shinjuku and I mentioned it before but not in detail. While we were there it was sunny and hot but overcast so it didn't make much sense to go over to the famous Tokyo sky tree which was on the other side of Tokyo. However something that most people wouldn't know is that the government office is almost as tall and has two views decks which you can go up for FREE. Typical English always up for a bargain. Also on the other side of the station there is a shopping hub with shops that you might of heard of like; H&M, Zara, Forever 21. As well as a lot of Luxury shops like; Louis Vuitton, Coach, Gucci and Tiffany & Co. I would compare it to Oxfords street or Regents street in London mostly. One night we went there and found a department store called Isetan Building which looks a lot like Selfridge in London, it has that sort of feel. However this department store has a garden on the roof that has a beer garden and looks out, totally Instagram worthy. 


Shibuya

Most famous for the Crossing, where basically you can cross to wherever you like. I tell you Starbucks must be making a fortune because opposite the station on the second floor they have a shop that looks directly over the crossing and every guide book suggests you go to Starbucks to view the crossing in action. However its much more fun being a part of the experience. Shibuya has much of the same shops as Shinjuku but it also has a very interesting Disney store, I can't explain but if you ever find yourself in the area go! It also has an Apple shop and most exciting to me right next door is a Ballet store full of international brands. I'm such a ballet nerd, but you would never see that in London so that made me happy.


Utsunomiya 

Utsunomiya isn't very interesting itself or maybe I just haven't discovered it yet, I wasn't there very long. I managed to do the rounds of the shops near the train station. It was much more of a normal shopping experience, however I'm not sure how normal Japan can get. The main shopping centre is called Lala square and  the building has eyes. As I said Normal? These are the little things that make my day. Some normality it has a Starbucks, a Subway and a McDonalds. But then again have you seen the Menus?


Nikko 

Is a little town at the bottom of the National park in Japan. There is no other way to explain it; it is beautiful, and such a breath of fresh air from the hubbub of Tokyo. There are two parts of Nikko; the Nikko Shrines and the Waterfall just above. This time I decided to go to the shrines. The Shrines are breath taking, the Architecture is so intricate and I am amazed that they are still here, especially as there are so many earthquakes. Well unfortunately they don't always survive, in the 2011 major earthquake one of the Shrines, collapsed. However they are meticulously putting it back together as well as making improvements to the foundation by installing anti earthquake structures. (sorry Architecture enthusiast) The Shrines also have a interesting story behind them that you can watch in Anime version, which is typical for Japan. Nikko shrines are also home to the birth place of the saying 'hear no, speak no, see no evil' which is illustrated in carvings above the monkey cage. 


Strange things about Japan 

- Ok, so in the UK there are only as few luxury stores, right? and mostly in London. Well in Japan every Department store seems to have one. you think I'm joking but while we were in Shinjuku I saw 2 Louis Vuitton stores and every place I've been so far has had a Tiffany & Co. Are they super rich out here?
- Tokyo is super into tax-free so if your a visitor you don't have to pay tax on top of it being cheaper in the first place.
- Why is tech so cheap and fruit so expensive? We were looking at the Ipad Sir 2 and you can save around £100 however if you want to buy a watermelon it will set you back £30 that's normally about £1 in the UK!
- Most of the tourists in touristy places were Japanese, there were not many 'foreigners'

Maria xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

All content copyright © 2014 - 2020 Maria unless otherwise noted.. Powered by Blogger.

Hey

Im trying out a new design, if you hadn't noticed. I am aware with this means that things can go wrong and be faulty.

If you have any issues let me know in the contact me page.

Also if you wish to read previous blogs for the dawn ages then use the blog archive on the other side.

app icon

app icon