Wednesday 1 February 2017

Raffles Long bar


Hi,

I bet you're Surprised, I'm sure you weren't expecting this so soon.

On my travels in the summer, as you are aware, I went to Singapore. You're all acutely aware I love cocktails too so, it was impossible for me especially not to visit the birthplace of the Singapore Sling. The Long bar itself is an experience, it's like stepping back in time. From the colonial facade to the interior teakwood bar and wicker chairs not to mention the traditional reef fans. You can really imagine this being the hub of socialites back in the day. Real nostalgia visit. 
The bar isn't really one of the bars you eat food apart from peanuts. Not the place to go if you have a peanut allergy at all. PEANUTS EVERYWHERE. The idea is that you nibble on the sack of peanuts on your table and then chuck the remains on the floor. The clean organised person that I am thought that the bar needed a clean when I first arrived, but after realising it was on purpose it was kind of exhilarating. 
The Singapore Sling was created in 1915 by Niam Ton Boon at Raffles long bar. At the time women were not allowed to drink alcohol in public, so he decided to create a drink that would not scream alcohol and looked more like a fruit punch. Saying that doesn't mean now it's thought of as a girly drink. However, when we were there were plenty of both genders.
It was just an amazing experience that you must go to, I can't stress that enough. As you can see from the picture below we didn't go in the evening, for us, it was more of a pre-dinner drinks. We had a relaxing girly day prior shopping at the Orchid ion mall, followed by the cinema and a photoshoot for the blog. And after we moved our cocktails and nibbles to a Tapas bar near, also delicious with a great outdoor atmosphere.

So that was my experience at the long bar, and I hope you enjoyed reliving the experience with me. I'm also sure I have adequately wetted your appetite so for the people that don't live in Singapore or can't afford to travel there immediately he is a recipe so you can attempt to make one at home.
Good luck and share the outcome with me on Instagram (@solvingmaria) if you give it a go. I hope you enjoined and feel free to comment down below.

Maria x

No comments:

Post a Comment

All content copyright © 2014 - 2020 Maria unless otherwise noted.. Powered by Blogger.

Hey

Im trying out a new design, if you hadn't noticed. I am aware with this means that things can go wrong and be faulty.

If you have any issues let me know in the contact me page.

Also if you wish to read previous blogs for the dawn ages then use the blog archive on the other side.

app icon

app icon